By Ashraf Al Shafaki
The ball game icebreaker is a fun yet powerful method for making introductions among trainees during the initial part of the first session of a training course or workshop.
- Have participants seated or standing in a circle.
- Throw a small ball to one of the participants while looking to him or her in the eye and asking him/her to catch the ball.
- Ask that participant to mention his or her name in a load voice so that all other participants in the circle could hear it clearly.
- Ask the participant to throw the ball over to any other participant he or she selects as long as that participant has not mentioned his or her name yet.
- The next participant catching the ball mentions his or her name out load then passes on the ball to yet another participant.
- The process repeats till every participant has mentioned his or her name.
- The final participant passes the ball over back to the trainer, who might wish to also mention his name once again just for the fun of it.
- Creates a fun and playful atmosphere among participants in the training room.
- Opens up communication channels between participants and makes them more familiar with one another.
- Hinders the rise of any difficult trainees.
- Energizes participants by including slight physical exercise.